Tuesday, 7 February 2012

The Rise of the Expat Mummy Blogger


Yesterday in The London Evening Standard there was an incredible article about exercise shorts that help you lose weight. Zaggora HotPants have been on the market for just six months and their revenues are set to hit a staggering £10 million this year! With no advertising budget, Dessislava Bell, creator of the HotPants, attributes this amazing success to sending out a free pair of the shorts to each of 500 bloggers, many of whom where Mummy Bloggers.

From The Evening Standard
But where did these Mummy Bloggers come from? Dave Lee and Snezana Curcic, BBC World Service Reporters, say that, “For the mums, they provide a discussion and support network”.


Clearly, if this is the main reason for blogging, this can only be amplified for Mummy Bloggers living abroad where a support network may not be immediately underneath them in their expat posting. Writing a blog can be a way of connecting with people in a similar situation, although may not be in a similar geographical location.

So to celebrate all the wonderful Expat Mummy Blogs out there Expat Explorer has compiled an A-Z of the Top Ten Expat Mummy Bloggers.



In her own words: Kirsty is an Australian writer and Blogger currently living in Qatar. After calling 7 countries home over the past 11 years she's embarrassed to admit she still can't pack a suitcase properly. Kirsty is currently writing a book about having 4 children in 4 different countries while trying to remember her new telephone number and where she packed the can opener. You can catch Kirsty on twitter @shamozal



In her own words: Meghan Fenn is an American expat and mother who has lived in England since 1999. After graduating from university with a BA in English and Art, she became an English teacher and lived and worked in Prague for two years and then in Tokyo for two and a half years. She moved to England to complete her Masters degree in Design Studies and then worked as a web designer at a company in Nottinghamshire. After being made redundant whilst pregnant with her 2nd child, she set up her own web and graphic design company, White Ochre Design Ltd.

Meghan currently lives on the Southeast coast of England, is married to an English man and has 3 young children, all born in the UK.

Bringing Up Brits is her first book and she is currently working on another book about raising a family around a business (and vice versa!).



In her own words: Dubai’s Desperate Housewife has lived in Dubai for 11 years. She quit her high-flying job to be a full-time mum to a 4-year-old and a small baby – something she wrestles with every day. Although she loves being there for her kids, she lives a parallel life in her head; one where her career continued its upward trajectory and her days are not spent on the school run and dangling rattles for a baby to swat.



In her own words: Quite simply I'm a Brit who was whisked off by a knight in shining armour (well, an accountant) to live in the USA some twenty years ago. We now have three kiddy-winkies and a mutt with selective hearing.

My days are filled with writing for various things on the web (see next tab), finishing another book, running a charitable organisation to fund a school in Ghana, and of course, being a devoted wife and mother to my adorable family. (That would be British sarcasm in case anyone's now a little confused.)

I was brought up in the northeast of England (God's own country), went to university in Bristol and worked for the rest of the 80's in London. When I first moved to the States, I lived in Dallas, but the rest of the time has been spent trying to come to terms with the oppressively hot summers and unbearably frigid winters of Chicago.


In her own words: Follow my journey as it unfolds as an American mom living in England. Often featuring local locations and tidbits, I love photography & a good story.


In her own words: Note From Lapland is where I write about whatever the hell is on my mind, whether that’s Finnish supermarkets selling vibrators or more serious posts about dealing with life after children and discovering who you are but hopefully always in an entertaining manner.  I swear, I rant and rave, I make you laugh and hopefully also make you think.


In her own words: Who am I? Displaced Londoner now living in the States with my two little girlies and long suffering husband. Co-author of hilarious parenting book Cocktails at Naptime www.cocktailsatnaptime.com My mom's an Austrian, my dad's a Brit, which makes me a Britaustrian, or possibly an Austrish?



In her own words: The American Resident is written by Michelle Garrett, an American expat making a home in Britain for over 20 years.

I am a freelance writer who enjoys being creative in an interactive way during my free time. That’s why, besides blogging, I also love cooking, gardening and hosting parties–all creativity enhanced by interaction with others. Sharing makes most things more fun.

As a freelance writer and professional blogger I have written for magazines, websites and larger projects. I am currently working on two eGuides for expats.

If you’re curious about my back story, click here: How I Got Where I am Today
If you would like one cool fact about me: I can do that thing where you run up to a chair, stand on it with one foot on the seat and one on the back, and slowly tip it over. Can you?



In her own words: The plan was to become a diplomat myself, but I somehow ended up marrying one instead. We started out as a duet and recently became a trio, just to spice up the spirit of adventure. Previous post: Vienna, Austria Current post: Washington, DC



In her own words: Well not all about me obviously, this is the internet.
I moved with my three kids, my dog, cat, a guitar and twenty boxes of books, from New Zealand to North Hampshire in the UK in August 2008. Why in God’s name did I swap beautiful beaches for Blighty, pavlova for pork pies and sand, surf, sun for …. snow… and sleet…

You’d be surprised how often I’m asked that question, but in truth, I did it for lots of reasons – work opportunities, opportunities for my kids, but mainly for the love of my Englishman this crazy man I met and fell in love with in Paris in June 2007.

This is the story of our experiences, of our brave adventure. Sometimes they’re funny, sometimes they’re sad, but always – at least I hope so – meaningful.

This is our story about how to really live – wet-paint-on-your-fingers-live – in another country as an expat, a long way from the places, the people and the land you call home.

And a final word for any aspiring bloggers out there (expat, mummy or other), here are 25 Top Tips for Bloggers from Expat Mummy Blogger, The American Resident, Michelle Garrett.

Are you an Expat Mummy Blogger? Get in touch and share your blog, tell us why you love blogging! 

21 comments:

  1. Lovely piece thak you so much for including me. I should add that since setting up the blog in 2009 it has turned into a business for me. In fact, not just a business, but the perfect business for someone like me who is on the move. I can genuinely say that my business (blogging, writing and internet consulting)is global. In fact I believe, Blogging, Facebook, Twitter are must-haves for women and men who are about to embark on an expat lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for your comment – it’s good to hear that your blog is going so well! It’s always a great read! What tips would you have for someone just starting out writing an expat blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy,

    I'm pretty sure we have been in touch before but I thought I would reach out because we are currently looking for expats to feature on the new series of 'House Hunters International'.

    We are looking for young, outgoing expats who speak fluent English and are about to move abroad or have recently done so.

    I am a Producer working on a television show called House Hunters International which follows English speaking expats in their quest to move abroad. Please find a little blurb about the show below:

    House Hunters International is a half-hour program currently airing on the Home and Garden Television Network (HGTV) in America. The series is designed to de-mystify the international house-hunting process by going behind the scenes of a house hunt where expats and their real estate agents tour 3 homes. At its core, House Hunters International is a travel show concentrating on the idiosyncrasies of the locales and what makes them special and different.

    You can watch some examples of the show here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYI3L3lC-c - Barcelona from LA

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrB0kYLCQjo - Hong Kong from Cincinnatti

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOiump3__Mo - Vienna from California

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0Q6DYe3QM - London from South Africa

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLmhKEzm5kg - Dubai from Illinois

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hety7cF7k0g - Czech Countryside from Prague

    Please get in touch if you have any more questions about the show. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best wishes and many thanks,

    Michelle


    Michelle James
    CASTING PRODUCER LEOPARD FILMS
    1-3 St Peter's Street, London N1 8JD - +44 20 7704 3300 michelle.james@leopardfilms.com www.leopardfilms.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, thanks so much for your message. I will send you over an email - and look forward to hearing all about it!

      Delete
  4. I've read some of these Mommy Blogs! And let me introduce you to another great one... my friend Aidan another expat in France @
    http://www.conjugatingirregularverbs.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara Louise! What a great read! And a lovely post about her smiley daughter. We have added it to our Blog List. Hope you enjoy our posts as well!

      Delete
  5. Hi Katy - couldn't find any contact info for you so am writing a comment. I saw you have my blog (Joburg Expat) on your blogroll. Would you be interested in a guest post about life in South Africa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sine! You can get in touch with us at expatexplorer@gmail.com. We would love to hear about your life and times in Jo’burg! Look forward to hearing from you!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for including me!!! At last us Austrishes are getting the publicity they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun to read about others similar experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such an honour to be included. I haven't stopped smiling. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see so many blogs I recognise in there. I'm also an exapat blogger so I love reading other experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! Glad you're enjoying the blog. Feel free to get in touch if you fancy a spot of guest blogging for us. Would love to hear from you. Our email is expatexplorer(at)googlemail.com

      Delete
  10. There are some of my most favourite blogs in the list, a great and diverse set of bloggers.

    You must have overlooked mine ;-)

    www.veryboredincatalunya.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now "followed" on our blog list ;-) Great blog by the way. Let us know if you'd like to guest post for us as we're always on the lookout for interesting bloggers for our Friday slot.

      Delete
  11. Great piece and will definitely check out some of those blogs! Am a big fan of a few already! I'm an expat (very new!) mum in Hong Kong with a blog I started when I first arrived about 15 months ago www.talesofataitai.blogspot.com. it's great to connect with other expat bloggers out there - certainly helps when you can share the challenges of living so far away from home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget. We've added you to our expat reading list. Keen to hear more from you and your adventures in Hong Kong.

      Delete
  12. Hi Katy

    I'm Crystal, an American finishing up a second year in Singapore. I blog over at expatbostonians dot com. I didn't mean to start out as a mummy expat blogger, but along the way (being pregnant probably helped it along) I've evolved into one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal! Thanks for your comment. Your blog looks great, I have added it to our blog roll so we can keep up to date with your posts! Look forward to reading more.

      Delete

Have your say here

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails